During discovery, we've discovered that clients are marketing to "everyone" and anyone.
This is not a good strategy. Actually, it's having no strategy.
Without knowledge of who you're marketing to, any efforts you make are unintentional and purposeless. Inbound marketing is all about intential, data-driven decision making. It's focused and efficient.
That's why your buyer persona(s) are the first and most important part of your inbound marketing strategy.
What is a buyer persona?
- A buyer persona is a semi-fictional representation of your ideal customer, according to HubSpot. Buyer personas are the most important part of your inbound marketing strategy. Defining your buyer persona(s) will give you insight about your customers and prospective customers’ needs, questions, pain points, and behaviors, which will make it easier to create that remarkable content they are already searching for online.
When you know who your buyer persona(s) are, you can market where they are online.
For example, if one of your buyer personas is an adult, then you would consider using Facebook as the social media platform to connect with them. Here are some statistics to back that up. (Note: Demographics like age may only be one aspect of your buyer persona.)
In addition to choosing a social media platform to engage on, your buyer persona(s) will also help you write the right content.
With this insight, you can also determine how to approach them online depending on where they are in the buyer's journey. (Pictured left, source: HubSpot.)
How do I define my buyer persona?
Start with these questions:
- What is their role?
- What industry are they from?
- What are their goals?
- What are their challenges?
- How do they learn about information?
- What publications or blogs do they read?
- What associations and social networks
- Personal background
- Shopping preferences (online, in-person, emails, phone calls)
Ultimately, research will help you define qualities of the personas you're trying to serve online. Then, you can create content that they will love and share it where they are online.